Cambodia

I'm Famous 4/30/16

I went viral on Facebook this week.
I was riding Elder Lambert's bike from an appointment and I saw a guy in the middle of the street trying to pull his moto out of traffic. So we hopped off our bikes and helped. Elder Lambert stopped traffic and I helped him pull his moto. No big deal. But then some guy took a picture and posted it on his weird Facebook page and it got a bunch of likes. Since that day I've had like 6 different random members tell me I'm famous. So, I'm famous.

No 2 weeks are the same in the office.

Mondays in the office are nuts. P-day for everyone besides us. For about 2 hours in the morning we have some quiet time in the office but then the storm hits. Everyone in the whole city comes to the mission home to hang out and do whatever they do. One thing they always do is ask favors from us. Everyone wants a new bike. Everyone needs us to take a virus off there memory card. Everyone wants us to load up their iPods with music. Everyone wants us to do some weird stuff for them. And its like a tornado for 4 hours straight. But its kinda cool too. We get to help a lot of people and get to know them and make some good relationships. So its a trade-off. Mondays are fun, but the key is to have a good personal study in the morning to be totally ready. 

On Tuesday we got to teach Tony and Paschal again. We taught them about the word of wisdom and law of chastity. They took it pretty well. Tony told us about how he really loves the law of chastity and how his life has been blessed from living it recently. But we did get another good line from Paschal. He said "We are African men. We all need our marijuana. We have been using it since the ancient times. No one would ever tell an African man that he can't have his marijuana." But we told him anyway. And we promised him blessings. And he agreed to keep the word of wisdom. P.s. the whole time he said it like mari-jew-wana which made it even better.

On Thursday we had a legit dinner appointment with a family in our ward, the Bakers. We had macaroni casserole and they asked me where I was from and we shared a scripture message. I learned that day that I can talk around a dinner table better in Khmae than English. Not that I'm better at Khmae, just that I'm less awkward and more practiced in Khmae. It was weird because it was so normal. I think that is going to be the theme of my time in the office. 

The best part of the dinner appointment was the view off their balcony: https://www.dropbox.com/s/mdr13s8a4itmpi3/IMG_1283.JPG?dl=0

Yesterday we had an exchange. My zone leader, Elder Morgan, came and chilled with me in the office. He just translated stuff all day while I worked on my cool spreadsheets and charts. For lunch we got Bazooka Burgershttps://www.dropbox.com/s/ioc3ympgf8pxhcg/IMG_1287.JPG?dl=0. Last night we went over to the house of a less-active member named Anne. Shes a nice lady but she is super schizophrenic and says some weird stuff. Shes from Africa and her English husband dropped her off and left her in Cambodia. She hasn't been to church in a while but hopefully she will come tomorrow.

This morning we went to clean the church with our branch. Tony and Paschal were the first ones there and helped sweep and mop the whole building. Then we went to the market and got some vegetables and mangoes. Then we met up with the APs and went to a restaurant called the Lone Pine. I got a pastrami and Swiss sandwich on rye. It was good. Then we went to Central Market to pick up this little guy for $40 https://www.dropbox.com/s/xx1pec0ruuj0nmf/IMG_1293.JPG?dl=0. Elder Lambert and I are going to become super legit photographers. After that we swung over to Orussey Market to pick up some new clothes we got cut last week-- a pair of tailored pants and 2 tailored shirts for $23. Not bad. Then we found another lady with a sowing machine next door and had her sow together our bike pedal straps that we have been putting together this last week: https://www.dropbox.com/s/c8th39lwmusd0ol/IMG_1291.JPG?dl=0. Now we are back in the office about to work on a couple graphs and chart to show at the mission leadership council next week. 
This is a cool thing I made for President Christensen
I made a survey to send out to all the missionaries in Cambodia. The survey collected data on all 103 people baptized in the first 4 months of 2016. From the survey I figured out how each of those people baptized was found and put it in a chart. Pretty cool huh? Its weird, I'm craving pie right now.

After I made this and a couple other things I took it all in to President and showed him what the numbers look like. We talked about the rising and falling numbers and tried to speculate the reasons for all of them. It was super cool to talk to President like that. We agreed on some things and disagreed on a lot of things. All in all it was about an hour of discussion. Now I have to figure out a couple more things and take them back to show in our meeting on Tuesday. I'm trying to make the office sound super cool. Its actually not that cool...

I messed around with Adobe Lightroom and took this picture: https://www.dropbox.com/s/aeevnr5ntf6o6rx/SDC10262.JPG?dl=0
Hopefully that will come in handy in proselyting some day.

This email is way too long.
Just look at the pictures.
Love you all.
Love,
Elder Osborne